Recipe by Kevin Young
Just a good recipe I have and like to use, especially since avocados are fabulous here in southern California. Pretty easy to cook too. It's good served over a bed of rice too.
Top Review by Derf
Wow Kevin!! This was sooo goood!! We don't usually go for heavy recipes, but this sounded so good , had to try it, about once a month we try something we shouldn't for a treat, this was one of those recipes. Soo delicious!! I used 3 fresh garlic cloves, couldn't resist, smashed it and added it to the egg and water, well mixed.I wasen't sure what you ment by "red bell Peppers, tops", so i chopped the red peppers very finely and threw in some parsley "tops"with the sliced scallion tops and sour cream. Boy! what a topping, the cheese and avacado with the rest of the toppings, are just outstanding flavour. Very much liked the cornmeal coat. Can't promise we'll do this again soon, but it will surely come to mimd next time we have company!! Thank-you for a real treat Kevin!!
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 pieces chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallion top
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper, tops
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the cornstarch, cumin, and garlic salt in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Beat the egg along with the water and place in a shallow dish.
- Put the cornmeal in a shallow dish.
- Coat the chicken in the cornstarch mix, followed by the egg mixture, and finally coat with the cornmeal.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and place the chicken in it in a single layer, cooking about 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Cut the avocado in half (removing the pit of course), and then cut into quarters.
- Finally cut the avocados into slices about 1/4-1/2 inch wide (I like to have at least 3 slices for each chicken breast.) Place the avocado slices over the chicken and then sprinkle the cheese evenly over the chicken.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is well melted.
- Serve each piece with about a tsp of sour cream on top and sprinkled with the chopped scallions and bell peppers.