Recipe by Sackville
This is reminiscent of dishes I tasted in Morocco. You will need a pestle and mortar to make the spice blend, unless you want to guess at the equivalent quantities of ready-ground spices.
- 200 g dried apricots
- 600 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 6 large dried red chilies
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the apricots in a pan with 250ml cold water and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind all the spices together, adding a bit of water to help, if needed.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the remaining two cinnamon sticks.
- After a couple minutes, add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until browned.
- Stir in the curry paste and let cook for 3-4 more minutes, until the oil begins to separate from it.
- Add the chicken, increase the heat and cook until all the pieces have turned white.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, along with the apricots and their water.
- Mix well, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until a nice sauce has formed and the chicken is cooked.
- Pull out the whole cinnamon sticks.
- Season with salt, stir in the fresh coriander and serve.