Recipe by Tulip-Fairy
This is a Madhur Jaffery recipe I have been making for years now. I haven't changed it much except for using boneless chicken.
- 2 1⁄2 cm cube fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons water
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kg bonless chicken meat (breast, thighs etc)
- 10 whole cardamom pods
- 2 1⁄2 cm cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 medium sized onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 7 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 275 ml single cream
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the ginger,garlic, 4 tablespoons of the almonds, and 4 tablespoons water into a blender until you have a paste.
- Heat the oil in a wide, non stick pan, when hot put in the chicken and cook until they turn golden brown. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon put into a bowl keeping any juices that come from the chicken.
- Put the cardamon, cinnamon, bay leaves, and cloves into the same hot oil. Stir and fry for a few seconds. Now put in the onions. Stir and fry them for 3-4 minutes until they are lightly browned. Add 1 tablespoon of yoghurt. Stir and fry it for 30 seconds. Now add another tablespoon of yoghurt. Keep doing htis until all the yoghurt has been incorporated.
- Put in the chicken pieces, any liquid that might have accumulated in the chicken bowl, the cream and the salt. Bring to a simmer. Cover, turn heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add sultanas and turn heat to low and cook for a further 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the garam masala, stir to mix.