Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3 lbs broiler chickens
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 ounces light cream
- 6 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces ribbon macaroni
- Place chicken in a casserole. Add water, wine, carrots, onion, parsley, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, skim and let boil gently for about 40 minutes with casserole covered.
- Strain the stock and save.
- Skin and bone the chicken when cold. Cut the meat in slices.
- Melt 3 T butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and stir. Add in turns 3 C's stock. Add the Cream and heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the parmesan cheese, but save some for the top.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan and brown the mushrooms lightly.
- Bring 2 qts of water with 3 teaspoons salt to a boil. Add the ribbon macaroni and boil until just soft, but no more.
- Wash the macaroni and drain.
- Mix mushrooms and macaroni and place at the bottom of a large ovenproof dish. Put the chicken on top. Pour on the sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.