Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is beyond easy to make and the gravy is really luscious and fragrant!
- 1 whole frying chicken
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon tarragon (I use more)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (I never use it)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- cornstarch, in water (to thicken)
- Put chicken in crock pot whole.
- Dot margarine over chicken.
- Combine seasonings and herbs and sprinkle evenly over chicken.
- Add vinegar.
- Cover and cook 8 hours (do not remove lid).
- I pour cooking liquid into a fat separator then pour off the liquid leaving the fat behind.
- Thicken with cornstarch (I also add some soy sauce for colour).
Very nice chicken and you are right it is so easy.
This was a great recipe and I will definately use it again although I did make a few changes to it. I followed the basic recipe, but I ended up adding rosemary and thyme to the chicken also. The chicken really was great, but I think without the extra seasonings it may have been a little too bland for my familys taste. To ensure that the chicken was very moist, I also placed mine in the crockpot breast side down. Just as a safety prcaution I would recomend making sure your crockpot is large enough for the chicken (mine is 6 quarts so it was fine) But a smaller one left on high unattended for more than the suggested number of hours could be very dangerous. This was a great recipe, thank you for sharing it! I have to say I was pleasantly surprised the the skin browned and had a good texture!
Very good! We used boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken, so it was a little dry. We added a cup of white wine the second time, and it was delicious!