Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe while I was cleaning out my old recipe box. I thought it would be fun for my 9 year old to help cook it.
- 1 -2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (13 ounce) packages tortillas, blended, Mission
- canola oil, for deep frying
- Boil chicken until just cooked through; about 30 minutes. Chop, shred or grind cooked chicken and place in a large frying pan. Add water and stir in spices. Simmer on medium-low heat, uncovered for 25 minutes, until meat is richly colored and has absorbed liquid.
- Heat oil, at least 2 inches deep, in a large frying pan or deep fryer. If using deep frying, be sure to stack(2 layers) taquitos in basket. They will float and unravel.
- In another frying pan, warm tortillas until easy to roll without tearing. Spread chicken mixture in a 1/2 strip (1 Tbs.) along one side of the tortilla. Roll up the tortilla tightly and place on a tray with the overlapping edge down to avoid unrolling. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken until all ingredients are used.
- When oil is hot, place taquitos (in batches) in pan or deep fryer and brown to desired crispness, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve with pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream.