- 2 lbs chicken backs or 2 lbs chicken necks
- 1 large ham hock
- 3 quarts vegetable broth
- 2 onions, course chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 celery ribs, course chopped including leaves
- 4 carrots, course chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, course chopped
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken backs bone side up on a baking dish, along with the thigh bones and skin. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then broil on top rack for 10 to 15 minutes until they are showing signs of heavy toasting.
- Remove and add to stock pot, along with the remaining stock ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 3 to 4 hours, adding water if necessary.
- Strain into large bowl, discard solids, cover and chill to set the fat on top. When fat has risen to top, scrape off and discard.