Recipe by Italian Babe
This recipe is great for cold winter days. My kids love this and I feel good about serving it to them. It is comfort food prepared using only healthy ingredients. It tastes way too good to be good for you too.
Top Review by loof
This is a great stew! It was so easy to prepare too. I don't care for onions so I used extra carrots and celery and added some onion powder. This is rich and delicious comfort food!
- 2 -3 lbs skinless chicken breasts
- 8 baby carrots, chopped (pre-peeled)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes or 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces pasta (cooked 1 min. prior to al dente) or 8 ounces red kidney beans (1 can)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (depending)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (to desired consistency) or 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (to desired consistency)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In soup pot, drizzle extra virgin olive oil then add vegetables. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (all except pasta).
- Simmer 45 minutes (or longer). Remove bay leaf, add cooked pasta (and/or beans) and simmer a few minutes. Remove Bay Leaf prior to serving.
- Variations: May serve parmesan cheese sprinkled over soup.