Recipe by DailyInspiration
From Cooking Light Magazine. A interesting take on traditional chicken spaghetti recipes as it incorporates mushrooms, gruyere cheese, english peas and a bread crumb topping.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 ounce porcini mushroom (dried, about 1/2 cup)
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6-oz. each)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 4 ounces processed cheese (such as Velveeta)
- 2 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup packed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen English peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 ounces French bread, torn into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1 cup boiling water and procini mushrooms in a bowl; let stand 20 minutes. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup soaking liquid. Chop porcini mushroms.
- Cook pasta in boiling water with 2 teaspoons salt until almost al dente; drain. Rinse pasta with cold water, and drain.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoons oil, chicken, 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper; saute 5 minutes, turning to brown. Remove chicken. Melt butter in pan. Add cremini mushrooms and garlic; saute 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour; saute 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Arrange rack in middle of oven. Preheat broiler to HIGH. Combine reserved porcini liquid, broth, and milk. Gradually add broth mixture to pan, stirring constantly; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Stir in processed cheese and cream cheese. Remove from heat; stir until smooth. Stir in Gruyere . Add porcini, pasta, chicken, peas and chives; toss. Scrape pasta mixture ito a broiler-safe 13x9 inch ceramic baking dish.
- Place bread in a food processor; drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoons oil. Process until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle crumbs over pasta mixture. Place dish on middle rack in oven and broil 6 minutes or until golden.