Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is my mom's recipe and one of my all time favorites. Always a crowd pleaser.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- Rinse chicken and remove any parts from cavity. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Cook in crock pot for 8 hours. Let cool and debone chicken and set aside (or use store bought rotisserie chicken).
- Cook spaghetti leaving slightly under done and set aside.
- Melt butter and saute onion and celery. Add mushrooms after about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour, this will make a very thick mixture. Cook flour mixture for a few minutes to slightly brown the flour. Whisk in chicken broth.
- Combine spaghetti, chicken, seasoned salt and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Place in 3 quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for 45 minute to an hour, depending on how done you like your cheese.
Made for PAC- Fall 09 It was really easy to bring together (husband who isn't much of a cook made it), and there would only be a couple of things I'd change. I would add a little garlic to pump up the flavours, and also use a more dense pasta, such as penne. I found that the spaghetti was mushy by the time it was ready to eat. I'll be making it again. It was easy and there were lots of leftovers for lunches.
I really like this dish. I added a little garlic and I sort of cheated because I just bought skinless chicken breast and cooked it. This is a really nice and different take on spaghetti. Thanks for sharing.
Fine comfort food. I added 1/4 cup white wine with the chicken stock to up the flavour a bit but it still needs a little more spicing up for my taste. One of the children particularly enjoyed it and said it tasted like chicken noodle soup. Made for ZWT3.