Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a very dear friend many years ago. It is still a family favorite. I even served it at my sister's Bridal Shower which just happened to be on May 5...Cinco de Mayo. Got lots of requests for the recipe. Note prep/cooking time does not include 24 hours refrigeration, or time to cook chicken breasts. (I sometimes use pre-cooked packaged chicken strips or canned chicken.)
- 4 large cooked chicken breasts
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup minced green chili pepper (not jalapeno)
- 1 lb grated monterey jack cheese
- Cut cooked chicken into bite size pieces.
- Cut tortillas in 1" squares.
- Combine soups, milk, onion and chiles.
- In deep buttered casserole, place layers of checken, tortillas and soup mixture.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Cover with foil and let sit in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and bake, uncovred, in 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add milk if necessary to prevent drying out while baking.