1 hr 10 mins
Lizzie Rodriquez's Note:
Gourmet 2006 Any party host knows that food served on skewers is just plain fun. These chicken satés are made from thigh meat, so they don't dry out during grilling, and the palm sugar in the marinade helps get the meat nice and caramely brown.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallot (about 3)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine or 1 tablespoon sake
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1In a blender blend together the peanut butter, the garlic, the lime juice, the soy sauce, the sugar, the cayenne, the water, and salt and pepper to taste until the mixture is smooth and transfer the sauce to a bowl. The sauce may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.
- 2Combine chicken with shallots, garlic, palm sugar, pepper, oil, fish sauce, rice wine, and salt in a sealable plastic bag and turn to coat chicken, then squeeze bag to eliminate as much air as possible and seal. Marinate chicken, chilled, at least 12 hours but no longer than 24.
- 3Thread each chicken strip lengthwise onto a skewer, keeping strip as straight as possible. Discard any remaining marinade.
- 4Prepare grill for cooking over medium-hot charcoal (moderate heat for gas).
- 5Grill skewers, turning over once, until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes total.
- 6Cooks' notes:.
- 7· If you aren't able to grill outdoors, satés can be cooked in a hot lightly oiled large (2 burner) well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat. · Chicken can be threaded onto skewers 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Sate
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.1
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 637.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 16.5 g