Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a chicken salad with a Mediterranean flair! The ingredient amounts for the dressing can be adjusted, but start with listed amounts, all other amounts for this recipe can be increased if desired. The capers and currants are optional, but I like to add them in. This is the perfect salad to serve to company, it has lots of flavor! If you are serving more than 4 people then double the recipe. Plan ahead the salad needs to chill for 2 hours before serving. Can use leftover turkey in place of chicken.
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tarragon or 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- 3 -4 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into small pieces (can use dark meat also)
- 3⁄4 cup orzo pasta (can use more, or any small pasta desired)
- 6 -7 cherry tomatoes, halved (or to taste)
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained (cut off any tough ends)
- 3⁄4-1 cup kalamata olive (can use regular black olives, sliced)
- 1 -2 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Boil the orzo pasta in boiling salted water until JUST firm-tender; drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a small bowl combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice and mustard; whisk to combine, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and mix in about 1/4 cup dressing; toss to combine.
- Add in cooked orzo, halved cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives and capers (if using) mix to combine.
- Add in the remaining dressing and mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for a minimum of at least 2 hours before serving.
Absolutely delicious!! It hasn't even marinaded yet and I have to keep myself from eating the whole bowl! It was wonderful as written, but I did make a few adjustments based on preference and what I had on hand.
After making the dressing and finding it so good, I doubled the amount for later use. I used 2 large chicken breasts and about 8 oz macaroni. I added some yellow and red bell peppers for a little crunch and they needed to be used soon, some minced red onion, and cilantro ( I am a cilanto-aholic) and more tomatoes. I didn't have any currents, so maybe next time.
The flavors explode in your mouth! I am planning on serving it over some mixed greens with more dressing, but if my husband does not get home soon, I cannot guarantee that there will be any left! Thanks Kittencal for the fabulous recipe!
This is a new favorite, I LOVE this recipe! I omit the capers and currants, and use less less olives and olive oil - and more tomatoes - just personal preferences, but this recipe is really excellent! I serve it over mixed greens. So healthy and really delicious!