Recipe by HeatherFeather
Years ago, I copied this out of a cookbook I had borrowed from the library called "The New Carry-Out Cuisine" and recently found it again. "Herbes de Provence" is a French herbal blend that contains lavender. If you like a little extra crunch, you may add some homemade croutons or sunflower seeds or sliced almonds as an additional garnish. I poach the chicken the evening before and let them chill overnight. You can use leftover roasted chicken or turkey if you prefer - just make sure you have enough to equal about 3/4 cup meat per serving. Prep time assumes you are starting with already cooked & chilled poultry. Cook time is actually chilling time.
Top Review by Rita~
I`m a salad lover and this is a good one! I didn`t have raspberries so I used blueberries. A really nice twist! And I used first press olive oil. Didn`t have walnut oil.I did poach the chicken but will keep in mind next I have left over chicken To make this recipe. Thanks Heather!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, poached in chicken broth and chilled
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1⁄2 cup green onions or 1⁄2 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 6 cups mixed salad greens, washed & dried
- 1⁄2 cup fresh raspberry, approximately,as garnish
- crouton (optional)
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- chopped nuts, additional garnish (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon dried herbes de provence, to taste
- 1 teaspoon raspberry jam, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice each chicken breast half into thin strips or cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Combine chicken with peppers and onions.
- Mix together dressing ingredients, adding salt& pepper to taste.
- If you like more sweetness, add a little extra jam.
- Pour only some of the dressing over the chicken mixture- go very lightly.
- Toss chicken mixture to combine- it should be wet enough to your liking, but not drenched and pop in the fridge to chill about 15 minutes.
- (If you prefer, you may chill this for up to 1 hour before serving.).
- Line a large salad bowl,platter, or 6 small serving plates with an attractive mixture of salad greens and set aside.
- Place dressed chicken salad on top of lettuce.
- Allow guests to drizzle additional dressing atop each portion or drizzle some over the whole salad just before serving.
- You may have extra dressing left over or you may need to make extra- if really depends on how much dressing you prefer.
- Garnish salad with a few fresh raspberries per serving.
- If desired, add a crunchy garnish as well (I like homemade croutons).