Recipe by Dommynchristian
I found this recipe on another site, and it was good. Thought I would share....
Top Review by Shesamazingnyc
Yum. I made it exactly as the recipe was written, and it was pretty good. My three year old loved it! My husband and I found it a little on the bland side, and fantasized about adding green olives, vinegar and a touch of brown sugar. And a little heat; maybe some chilis. Next time, I'll set aside a portion for the kids, and jazz up the rest for us.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken, onion, tomato, carrot, and 2 cloves of garlic into a large pot. Add water to cover, then bring to a boil. Skim and discard the foam that has floated to the surface. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered until the chicken is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Place the chicken into a bowl and shred it into strips as thick as a pencil; set aside. Strain the cooking liquid and discard the vegetables.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onions, green peppers, and red peppers. Cook and stir until the vegetables have softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomato puree, white wine, chicken, and enough of the reserved broth to create a thick sauce. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes more to reduce the sauce slightly and coat the shredded chicken.
- Cooks Note.
- The chicken breasts may be cooked in a slow cooker, covered, on High for 3 to 4 hours.