Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The great thing about this dish is that you can assemble your ingredients while the chicken simmers, so it cuts down on prep time. It only takes 30 minutes cooking time from start to finish.From Linda Symonds,newsletter... http://www.cook-mexican.com/
- 3 -5 chicken breasts or 3 -5 chicken thighs
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 onion, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups chicken broth, mixed with
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over high heat. Brown the chicken pieces on each side. Cover chicken with chicken broth - add chile powder, cumin, oregano, garlic and cocoa and bring to a boil.
- While it's coming to a boil, slice the top off of each tomato and place cut side down on a cookie sheet along with the onions.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil over them. Place under broiler and remove when tomato skins become very wrinkled and shriveled - about 3 to 5 minutes.
- When the tomatoes are ready, remove from broiler and let cool for 1 minute. Peel the skin off of each tomato roughly chop them and the onions.
- Add chopped tomato and onion to the chicken and sauce. Continue to simmer the sauce until the chicken is cooked through.
- If the liquid cooks off to fast, add water as needed to maintain a sauce with the chicken.
- Serve with steamed rice.