Recipe by breezermom
This is a great chicken recipe using a whole chicken, butterflied. I'm a big fan of "whole chicken" recipes, because I can usually get these for a bargain price. This recipe combines the humble chicken with another of my favorites, spinach.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This roasted chicken was a big hit at our house tonight! Not only delicious, but very pretty with all the spinach mixture under the skin. I used frozen (cooked) spinach vs. canned and discovered way too late in the process that I was out of parmesan so I used feta cheese. Loved the presentation and the way that the chicken browned up so beautifully. Roasted the chicken surrounded by new potatoes. Will definitely make this dish again. Made for the Newest Zaar Tag, June, 2012.
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) canchopped spinach
- 1 cup small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried whole oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried whole rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried whole thyme, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain spinach; press between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Combine the spinach and the next 5 ingredients. Stir well, and set aside.
- Remove the giblets and neck from the chicken. Reserve for other uses. Place the chicken on a work surface, breast side up. Cut completely through the breast bone. Turn the chicken over; flatten the chicken back, breaking the breast and rib bones. (I can usually get the butcher at my grocery store to do this for me!).
- Turn the chicken breast side up. Starting at the neck cavity, loosen the skin from the breast and drumsticks by inserting one hand, palm side down. Gently push your hand beneath the skin against the meat to loosen the skin, being careful not to tear the skin. Spoon the spinach mixture into the pockets beneath the skin.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan. Combine the olive oil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme; brush over the chicken.
- Bake, uncovered at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until the chicken is done.