Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
One of my favorites, it is just the best comfort food, and so good in winter time,and it can feed a crowd.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 1 (20 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (8 ounce) package ready-made pie crusts, Pilsbury (2)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cook chicken in boiling water to cover 45 minutes or until tender; drain reserving broth. Bone chicken; cut meat into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Bring broth to a boil, add frozen vegetables, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain vegetables, reserving 1 quart broth. Set aside.
- Place i piece of premade pie crust in bottom of a 9 inch round pie pan.
- Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat, add 1/2 cup flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. gradually add chicken broth; cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, nutmeg, chicken and vegetables, pour intopastry lined dish.
- Place reaming premade pie crust sheet on top of pie. fold edges over, seal, crimp & flute. Cut several holes in top to allow steam to escape. Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
I made this up today because dh had a craving for chicken pot pie. I made it as is with no changes. Excellant !! Adding the nutmeg really gives it a unigue taste. Thumbs up from Joshua :)