A very tasty chicken casserole.
Make and share this Chicken Penne Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 354.88 ml uncooked penne pasta
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml chopped green pepper
- 118.29 ml chopped sweet red pepper
- 7.39 ml minced garlic
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 411.06 g can crushed tomatoes
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 177.44 ml chicken broth
- 473.18 ml shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 118.29 ml grated romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Saute the chicken, onion, peppers, garlic and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add to chicken mixture.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta and toss with chicken mixture.
- Spoon half of the chicken mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and Romano cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.
This is a great casserole and I like that it used chicken thighs (we prefer). I used all red peppers (prefer over green) and only 1/2 the amount of red pepper flakes. Made for a family dinner night we attend weekly with friend and everyone loved it. Made recipes as is; did not double or triple since others were bringing dishes and it went fast! Made for I Recommend Tag.
I used boneless skinless chicken breast and parmesan cheese instead of romano. This is a very yummy casserole. Thanks Bonnette :) Made for Alphabet chef tag game
Very good. I made a directed. Next time I would add 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and some fresh mushrooms. A very nice way to fix chicken. Thanks for posting.