Recipe by bmcnichol
A very tasty chicken casserole.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This is a great casserole and I like that it used chicken thighs (we prefer). I used all red peppers (prefer over green) and only 1/2 the amount of red pepper flakes. Made for a family dinner night we attend weekly with friend and everyone loved it. Made recipes as is; did not double or triple since others were bringing dishes and it went fast! Made for I Recommend Tag.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Saute the chicken, onion, peppers, garlic and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add to chicken mixture.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta and toss with chicken mixture.
- Spoon half of the chicken mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and Romano cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.