Recipe by TasteTester
I found this recipe in Good Housekeeping magazine. It has different ingredients from the other recipes for this, so I'm posting it to try soon.
- 12 ounces cavatappi pasta or 12 ounces fusilli
- 2 green onions
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in . pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with press
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced (about 4-6 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling on high. Add pasta and cook as label directs. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Return pasta and reserved cooking water to saucepot.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions; reserve 2 tablespoons sliced dark green tops for garnish. In 12-inch slillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil on medium-high heat until hot. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook 7 minutes or until chicken is browned and no longer pink throughout, stirring occasionally. Transfer chicken to medium bowl; set aside.
- To same skillet, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil; reduce heat to medium. Add green onoins and garlic, and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add asparagus and red pepper; cook 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Stir in cream, crushed red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat mixture to boiling on medium-high. Stir in reserved chicken pieces and remove skillet from heat.
- To saucepot with pasta and reserved cooking water, add Parmesan, chicken mixture and basil; stir to combine. To serve, spoon into bowls and garnish with reserved dark green onion.