Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Balti dishes are very popular in Europe, they are cooked in a Karahi ( Indian version of a wok). Once the preparation is complete cooking time is short. Pasanda is one of those dishes that uses fresh cream for a smooth flavour at the finish and the use of ground almonds gives class. I have posted this for MRSMM. This dish freezes well.
- 2 lbs chicken, cubed
- 5 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 green cardamom pods, split open
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- 4 fluid ounces fresh single cream
- Mix the yogurt together with the cumin seeds, cardamoms, peppercorns, garam masala,cinnamon, ground almonds, garlic, ginger, chilli powder, and salt. Stir in the cubed chicken and allow to marinate for a couple of hours.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onions for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and the spices it was marinated in and cook till the chicken is tender and the sauce thickens a little.
- Add the chopped chillies and the cream, bring to the boil and turn the heat off.
- Serve with plain boiled rice and garnished with coriander if liked.