This dish will satisfy your Italian cravings without spiking your blood sugar. Significantly reduce the glycemic impact of starchy spaghetti by replacing it with wholesome spaghetti squash. Top with a moist chicken cutlet, a splash of sauce, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a slimmed-down version of the classic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half
- 1/2 cup rice flour or 1/2 cup unbleached flour or 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 3/4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 11. PLACE the chicken in a 13" x 9" baking dish and pierce in several places with a fork. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and turn to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 22. PLACE the squash, cut sides up, in a microwaveable dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 25 minutes, or until forktender. Using a fork, scrape the flesh from the squash. Keep warm.
- 33. MEANWHILE, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 44. IN a shallow dish, combine the flour, 1/4 cup of the cheese, the garlic powder, and seasoning salt. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, then return to the pan with the buttermilk, then coat again with flour. Place in another large baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon about 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce onto each chicken breast and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- 55. BAKE for 25 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 160°F and the juices run clear.
- 66. MEANWHILE, heat the remaining sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Serve with the chicken and spaghetti squash.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Parmesan With Spaghetti Squash by Prevention
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.3
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 85.1 mg
- Sodium 543.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 32.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: