Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
An alternative to the classic. The cook times depends on whether you're using a glass or metal baking dish and, naturally, the regulated temperature of your oven. From Food Wishes by Chef John.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- 6 (5 -6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (5 ounce) package garlic-flavored croutons
- In a 9x13" baking pan, add the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes; spread it around so it covers the bottom of the pan.
- Place chicken breasts in the pan. Pour the sauce on top of the chicken. Sprinkle basil on top. Sprinkle half of the cheeses on top of the basil. Dump all the croutons over mixture and finish it off with the other half of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45- 55 minutes until breasts are cooked through; remove from oven. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
I followed this recipe quite closely; only reducing the cheese (half) and croutons (one ounce) in order to save calories. My family gobbled it up and the house smelled like an Italian restaurant! Don't skip the croutons altogether... they're what makes this recipe swoon-worthy... but I wouldn't hesitate to use less than the whole bag the recipe specifies. THANK YOU for sharing. This has become a new staple in our home -- quick, easy and delicious!
I re-pinned this on someone's pinterest. I absolutley love this. It is so easy to put together and the taste is awesome. The chicken is very tender and you get the crunchy topping from the croutons. I make this oten. Thanks for sharing!
Great recipe! Just made this dish and really found it very tasty. I cut my chicken breast into bite size pieces which reduced the cooking time to 35 mins. I was so tempted to cover this dish as it cooked but I refrained and followed the recipe to a tee. I served over rigatoni pasta so, I made a little extra sauce on the side. So simple and definitely a keeper. Thank you for sharing. Makes me so happy when a recipe I try turns out nicely.