Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is good served with rice in place of the egg noodles. You can make this with boneless skinless chicken breasts, I have to say that it is better using the skin on chicken. You can add in 1/4 cup red wine, if you do then decrease the water by 1/4 cup.
- 3 lbs chicken legs (skin on) or 3 lbs chicken thighs (skin on)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper (can use white salt)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 4 -6 tablespoons oil (more if needed)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- cooked buttered egg noodles
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until hot (I use my electric frypan for this).
- Brown the chicken in batches on both sides (about 6 minutes per side) transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in onion, garlic and dried chili flakes; saute for about 6 minutes.
- Add in paprika, tomato sauce, water and chopped red bell pepper; stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet (skin side up).
- Cover and cook for about 35 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- After the 35 minutes, remove the lid and season with salt and pepper; continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup of sauce to a bowl and whisk in the 1 cup sour cream, then stir the mixture back to the sauce in the skillet.
- Serve with hot buttered egg noodles.
As always I find all the recipes I have tried of yours fantastic and this is no exception!!! The only thing I did was to cut the recipe in half for just the two of us and followed the rest of the recipe to a tee. Thank you for one that is going in my Favorites of 2010. P.S. I did use some red wine and served over buttered egg noodles...delicious.