Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Louisiana favorite! This stew is just lovely served over steamed rice. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 2 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1 lb beef, diced
- 1 cup okra, diced
- 3 pints water
- 2 dozen oysters
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons file powder (powdered sassafrass leaves)
- Saute onion in butter until golden.
- Place chicken and beef in a stockpot with water and cook until tender.
- Strain, remove any bones, and replace meat and broth in stockpot.
- Add okra and minced onions; reheat until okra is tender.
- Add oysters with their liquor, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add filé powder and cook just until edges of the oysters curl.
- Serve hot.