Recipe by rozemarie
I found this looking through some of my Aunts belongings of hand written recipes. Gave it a try and really LOVED IT!!The family gave this thumbs up! NOTE: You can make this dish without the chicken, Just add a little of a vegetable stock when sautéing the garlic and broccoli.
Top Review by rpgaymer
This was really good. I used whole wheat rotini pasta, 2% milk instead of cream, and about half the amount of cheese and butter, and it still tasted great. I'm thinking I might add artichoke hearts and mushrooms next time, but I'm definitely making this again.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 lb ziti pasta, cooked
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half or 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- reserve 1/4 cup pasta water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the chicken with the garlic, salt, and pepper until lightly browned.
- Add the broccoli flowerets. Toss with the chicken. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add milk and ONLY 1/4 of the grated Parmesan cheese. Using high heat, quickly toss all ingredients until a nice milky sauce has formed (1-2 min.).
- Cook ziti according to package directions. Drain, but do not rinse and reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Toss the ziti with the butter. Add ziti to the chicken and broccoli and toss gently. Add the reserve pasta water as needed and toss again. Sprinkle with remaining grated Parmesan cheese, and red flakes. Serve.