Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
If you don't have time to make the stock, use 2 to 3 boxes of chicken broth. Bring broth to boil; add 2 to 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced, and 1 teaspoon granulated garlic; cook 10 to 15 minutes. Then follow the steps for the soup.
- 1 whole chicken, rinsed, giblets discarded (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, cut in large chunks
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 cups carrots, sliced or 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, sliced, with leafy green tops
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chicken base (or use 3 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh or dried)
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked extra fine egg noodles
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Place the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Pour in only enough cold water to cover (about 3 quarts); too much will water will make the broth taste weak.
- Add the peppercorns; allow it to slowly come to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, partially covered, until the chicken is done.
- As it cooks, skim any impurities that rise to the surface; add a little more water if necessary to keep the chicken covered while simmering.
- Carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, discard skin and bones and shred the meat by hand; set aside.
- Carefully strain the stock through a fine sieve into another pot to remove the vegetable solids.
- Bring stock back to boil.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, chicken base, garlic powder, onion powder and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add parsley, pepper and egg noodles; cook for another 10 minutes.
- When noodles are done add chicken.
- Adjust seasoning by adding salt and extra pepper if needed.