Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is especally good served with saffron rice. I have never made this myself, but I had it at a friends house once and thought it was delicious. Prep and cook times are approximate.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 lbs roasting chickens (or two 2-3 pound chickens, cut into serving pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 small white onions, peeled
- 2 large green peppers, sliced into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup strong chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup ripe olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large flameproof casserole and brown the chicken on all sides.
- Remove chicken; add butter and onions to casserole and brown slowly.
- Add green peppers and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and stir until coated with oil.
- Stir in tomato paste, 1 tablespoon of parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper and wine.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, then add chicken stock.
- Return chicken to casserole, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender, basting several times with the pan liquids.
- Remove chicken to a heated platter.
- Reduce cooking liquids over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Skim grease.
- Stir in the olives.
- Pour sauce and vegetables over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of parsley.