Recipe by What's Cooking from Florida
I got a Cuisinart Panini Grill and just put together my favorite chicken fajita ingredients, instead of rolled in a tortilla shell it is placed layer by layer onto fresh Ciabatta bread and topped with oregano and pesto. An Italian touch to fajitas. I recommend getting the Ciabatta rolls at Costco- they are fresh and delicious! My family LOVED them. Each panini is a very large and filling sandwich. Might want to split in half and share one!
Top Review by Porfavorcorona
What great sandwiches and easy to make. Dh and I liked them so much we finished them in one setting. I did have to use french bread since I couldn't find any ciabatta bread in our town. Thanks and we'll be making these again. Made for Spring PAC 2008
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- olive oil
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Morton nature seasons seasoning blend
- butoni basil pesto
- 4 ciabatta rolls
Directions See How It's Made
- Flatten chicken breasts and season them with Natures Seasoning and Olive oil. Let marinate while doing the next steps.
- Cut the red peppers into 5 wedges per pepper so they can lay flat on grill or you can substitute sliced sun dried tomatoes right out of the jar instead of peppers. These are ready to put right on the sandwich without grilling if you prefer.
- Slice the red onion into rings.
- Coat the onions and peppers with olive oil.
- Heat up your grill for panini on high. I use the Cuisinart Griddler I just got and it is excellent because it adjusts evenly to the thickness of whatever you are cooking.
- Season chicken with Morton Natures Seasoning and oregano. Grill the chicken breasts first- 2 at a time with top of grill down which will leave perfect grill lines. Take off when done and put on plate.
- Grill red peppers (flat) and next grill the red onion rings. Place on plate.
- Clean off grill. I add a little olive oil or Pam to grill with a piece of paper towel before grilling sandwiches.
- Spread a good amount of the Pesto on the top half of each sandwich.
- Layer the panini. Chicken breast, Red pepper or sun dried tomatoes, Red onion slices, 1 slice of mozzarella cheese - Make sure everything fits perfectly within the size of the bread you are using.
- Top each panini with the top half you have already spread the Pesto on.
- Carefully place the sandwiches on grill (I can fit 2 at a time) and smoosh down if needed. Bread will have lines, cheese will be melted, and the sandwich will be nice and hot and perfect when ready!
- There are other variations to this. My son is not crazy about Pesto -- so he just used Chicken, Mozzarella cheese and Paul Newman's jarred Marinara sauce and sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top of the sauce on his instead and Loved It!
- A Chicken Parmesan Panini!
- Hope you like it!