Recipe by Karin...
This is a very quick and easy 'Dinner Party' recipe which over the years I have frequently used and one that many of our friends seem to rate very highly.It can be prepared in advance and easily re-heated. The preparation time includes the time it takes to coat the chicken and to make the sauce.
Top Review by Virginia Chandler
WOW!!!!! This was Delicious and Easy!!!!!The sauce was amazing!!! Next time I might add just a pinch of sugar to the sauce. I didn't have bread crumbs and used dry stuffing, this added a nice added flavor. I also added 1/2lb of boiled ham on top of the chicken fillets before adding the cheese. Definite Keeper!!!!!!!
- 6 chicken fillets
- 1 can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (more or less according to taste!)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 water
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- olive oil or butter (for frying chicken)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat the chicken fillets with beaten egg (well seasoned), and bread crumbs.
- Repeat this process (coating each fillet twice).
- Fry the crumbed chicken gently in oil or butter, or in mixture of both, until golden on both sides.
- Drain on absorbent kitchen paper towels and place in baking dish in a single layer.
- Meanwhile, empty can of tomatoes (including juice) into a saucepan.
- Press down with a potato masher (or similar) to break up the pieces of tomato.
- Add tomato paste, crushed garlic, herbs, wine and water.
- Simmer gently for about 10 minutes- until reduced to a rich sauce.
- Place spoonfuls over each fillet, ensuring that you reserve a couple of tablespoons of the sauce for serving.
- Place a thick slice of Mozzarella cheese on each portion and bake in moderate oven for about 20 minutes' Add a little water to the remaining tomato sauce-creating a small amount of thin tomato'gravy'.
- Serve with boiled and buttered noodles and vegetables such as zuccinnis and carrots or a crisp salad.
- A VARIATION to this easy recipe is to use chicken breasts instead of fillets and making a slit through the centre of each one, stuff with a mixture made up of cooked and chopped spinach, finely chopped onion and crumbled Feta cheese.