Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This modern version of a Hawaiian recipe combines chicken with spinach and coconut milk. A more traditional recipe for this dish would use taro leaves instead of spinach, and additional cooking time. You may also try making this recipe with two teaspoons fresh ginger, sliced, in place of the garlic, or in addition to the garlic. Taken from a Hawaiian tourist web site.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or substitute sesame or macadamia oil)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 (10 ounce) boxes spinach, thawed (frozen whole-leaf spinach)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Remove bones and skin from chicken breasts and cut meat into 1 inch cubes.
- Heat oil and saute chicken until lightly browned; add garlic and saute one minute.
- Pour chicken stock over the browned meat and garlic, and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Drain the thawed spinach, then stir spinach and coconut milk into the chicken mixture. Simmer five minutes.
- Serve with rice.