Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious individual pies with a filling that can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.
- 1 whole roasted chicken or 1 whole bbq chicken, cut into strips (skin included)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium leek, finely sliced
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100 ml white wine
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 300 ml light cream
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 sheets of pre rolled butter puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 220oC.
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and butter.
- Stir in the leek and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and allow to reduce.
- Add the stock and cream, simmer gently until slightly thickened.
- Mix together cornflour with 2 tbsp water add to pan and stir until thickened.
- Stir through chicken and chives, remove from heat and season to taste.
- Set aside to cool.
- Fill 4 x 1 1/2 cup capacity ramekins to within 1 cm from the top.
- Cut out pastry circles a little larger than the ramekins and press over filling.
- Make a 1/2cm hole in the centre to allow steam to escape.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
We made these a little different from the recipe but the base flavour from this recipe is excellent. We used 2 large leeks, added 12 asparagus spears (chopped in 0.5cm pieces) and used a vegetarian chicken stock. We put chopped BBQ chicken breast in two of the four pies, so we got 2 Vegetarian pies and 2 Chicken pies.