Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I wanted to make my own pasta sauce, and I started liking foods that were spicy, so, with my sisters input, we came up with this recipe. In short it is spicy tomato sauce with chicken and veggies which go well over pasta. This is not one of my preferred quick and easy dishes, it is a little more time consuming, but it is my absolute FAVOURITE meal. My sister named in after one of her favourite dishes: Chicken Kung Pao.
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups green onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tobasco
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 ounces fettuccine, cooked per package directions
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Throw your chicken breasts on a sheet, frozen or thawed, and cook it in the oven until done. I do not like working with raw chicken!
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion, garlic, and mushrooms in 1 1/2 Tbsp oil until browned.
- Stir in broth, tomato sauce, green onions, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, cayenne and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer sauce, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In large resealable plastic bag, combine salt, garlic powder, pepper, basil and cumin; mix well.
- When chicken is cooked and cooled, cube it.
- Throw cubed chicken in plastic bag and shake to coat evenly.
- Saute chicken in remaining oil.
- Add chicken to tomato sauce and cook for another 10-20 minutes.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta, add a dallop of sour cream ('cause it's spicy!) and enjoy!