1 hr 5 mins
From cookbook author, Paula Wolfert, this rustic Lyonnais dish is comfort food. Slow cooking transforms red wine vinegar, tomato, shallots, garlic and a touch of honey into a perfectly balanced sauce for chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 large chicken thighs, trimmed (bone-in and skin-on)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon (to taste)
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar, broth, honey and tomato paste to a boil, stirring well. Simmer low the vinegar sauce until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10-12 minutes.
- 2Heat the butter in a large, heavy skillet. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add half of them to the skillet, skin side down. Cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining thighs.
- 3Add the garlic and shallots to the skillet and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the wine; boil until reduced to 1/4 cup. Add the vinegar sauce and bring to a simmer.
- 4Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Cover and simmer over low heat until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to plates.
- 5Add the creme fraiche to the skillet and boil for 3 minutes. Add the tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.9
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 183.4 mg
- Sodium 197.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 34.6 g