Recipe by Aunty Dotty
From Patricia Wells' Bistro Cooking, a classic French dish.
Top Review by Thymestudio
Fantastic! This was a simple recipe for a midweek meal, so easy to prepare and exceptionally flavorful. I have this recipe in my favorites and I will be making this again. Followed directions exactly, made enough for dinner and lunch tomorrow. Thank you for posting!
- 1 free-range chicken, jointed into 8 pieces (skin on or off)
- 236.59 ml red wine vinegar
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 2 red ripe tomatoes
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley or 29.58 ml thyme
- 59.16 ml butter
- 44.37 ml olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the seasoned chicken in batches in the butter with a bit of oil as well to stop it burning.
- Drain fat from skillet and return chicken to skillet.
- Slowly pour the vinegar into the hot pan to deglaze. Stand back from fumes!
- Over med-high heat, reduce the vinegar by about half, turning chicken periodically to bathe it.
- Add tomatoes and stock, cover and simmer gently until flavours melded and mingled, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat, set aside the chicken and keep warm.
- In the pan, whisk in a knob of butter for a beautiful shiny sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and then strew with herbs.
- Enjoy with a potato gratin or creamy mash and steamed green beans ( for example ).