Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This tastes like a dish you could get at an Italian-American restaurant, but is super easy to make. Kids love it too! You can use nearly any kind of pasta. Pairs well with a vinaigrette salad.
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked according to directions
- 3 -4 chicken breasts, optionally cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in frying pan on medium heat.
- Coat chicken in breadcrumbs, optionally with a milk or egg wash first.
- Cook chicken approximately 4-5 minutes on each side, until done. Slice a bit of chicken to ensure doneness.
- Remove chicken from pan, leaving behind any drippings and grease.
- Deglaze pan with chicken broth.
- Add heavy cream, basil,garlic, butter, tomatoes, and half the parmesan cheese.
- Simmer, stirring often to prevent any burning and to incorporate chicken drippings.
- Add remaining parmesan cheese as desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When cream sauce has thickened, turn heat to low. A small amount of flour or corn starch can be used to thicken it faster if needed.
- Serve chicken on top of pasta, covered in the cream sauce. Garnish with parsley and parmesan.