1/1 Photo of Chicken Gumbo
1 hr 45 mins
From "Texas Home Cooking". This is the best gumbo recipe I've ever tried. Very flavorful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 lb hot smoky sausage (like andouille)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sliced okra (frozen is okay)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup spicy hot V8
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 -5 dashes Tabasco sauce or 3 -5 dashes louisiana hot sauce (optional)
- 1Boil chicken in stock, reduce heat and simmer until very tender.
- 2Remove chicken and reserve stock.
- 3Let chicken cool, then shred it.
- 4In a large dutch oven, brown the sausage over med-low heat.
- 5Remove the sausage and put it with the chicken, leaving the rendered fat in the pan.
- 6Add the oil to the fat (use more or less than the 3 T. depending on how much fat you have from the sausage. You need about 1/4 c. altogether.) Allow the oil/drippings to heat up over med-high setting.
- 7Add the flour and stir constantly until it becomes a medium brown color.
- 8When it is brown, turn off the heat and quickly add the okra, onion, garlic, celery, and bell pepper.
- 9Allow the sizzling to stop.
- 10Slowly pour in the stock, stirring well.
- 11Add the tomatoes, V-8 juice, green onions, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, cayenne, black and white peppers, and bring to a boil over high temperature setting.
- 12Reduce heat and simmer 45 min.
- 13Add the chicken and sausage and allow to heat through.
- 14Adjust the seasoning as necessary and add the hot sauce if you want a little extra heat.
- 15Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.8
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 94.5 mg
- Sodium 938.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 34.3 g