Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love chicken fried steak. got this from an written recipe.
- 8 (6 ounce) top round steaks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- shortening, for frying
- 1⁄4 cup pan dripping
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk, scalded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Score steaks on both sides, pound to a thickness of 1/4-inch season lightly with salt and pepper
- coat lightly in flour, pat with hands to shake off excess.
- moisten in 1 cup milk, allowing excess to drip off.
- coat well in flour, shake off excess.
- heat shortening in a skillet, over a moderate flame.
- add steaks and fry for 2-3 minutes per side
- remove steaks.
- heat drippings and butter in a skillet, over a medium flame whisk in the flour.
- heat and stir for 4-5 minutes, until just beginning to turn to a very light golden color.
- very slowly whisk in milk, heat and stir until thickened.
- season to taste with salt and pepper.
- serve steak hot, with cream grav.