Delightful fare that will have you reaching for a hunk of crusty bread. The original recipe is from the British magazine Good Food and modified here to my personal tastes. I love the way the ingredients layer creating a dish with depth and yet simple to prepare and easy enough for a busy evening, Made as presented, this is 8 points per serving as per the WW Recipe Builder with generous portions. You may also serve three smaller servings for 5 points each.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 large fennel bulb, preparation instructions below
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 9 ounces small red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup fat free chicken broth or 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 halves roasted red peppers, cut into large (1/2 inch)
- 1Trim the green tops off the fennel and reserve. Halve, then quarter the fennel, cut out the core, then cut lengthways into slices.
- 2Prepare the chicken for cooking by seasoning with salt, pepper, paprika and crushed fennel seed.
- 3Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet, add the chicken, then fry quickly until lightly opaque and browned for about 2 minutes. (Note the chicken will not be cooked through.) Add the fennel, onions and garlic, then stir briefly until the fennel has a bit of color - as much from cooking as from taking on the spices from the chicken bites.
- 4Add in the potatoes, diced roasted tomatoes, broth and a tomato paste, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender to the fork but not breaking apart.
- 5Stir in the roasted peppers and heat through.
- 6Roughly chop the reserved fennel fronds, about 1 tablespoon or so, then sprinkle over the ragout. Serve in shallow bowls or plates with high lips along with crusty bread for mopping up the juices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Fennel and Tomato Ragout
Serving Size: 1 (685 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.3
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.7 mg
- Sodium 822.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 32.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers