Recipe by NitaD
Takes a little prep time but well worth it. Was developed by a co-worker when I worked up in a fly fishing lodge in Alaska many years ago.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 7 teaspoons flour
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons ground cumin
- 6 ounces mexican chocolate
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 4 cups diced onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 20 tortillas
- 1 lb grated monterey jack cheese
- sour cream (to garnish)
- chopped green onion (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- For Sauce: Put in sauce pan and simmer till it begins to thicken- oil, flour, chili powder, chicken stock, cloves, cinnamon, and 4 Tbsp of the cumin and the mexican chocolate.
- For the filling: Boil chicken and cube, mix with onions, garlic and tomatos(drained),oregeno, remaining cumin, mustard, salt and pepper.
- To Assemble: Dip tortillas in sauce, lay on assemby area put several tablespoons of filling in middle of tortilla, add some grated monteray jack, and roll. Place in large shallow baking dish-repeat for all 20 tortillas.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes take off foil and sprinkle with remaining cheese bake for 10 more minutes until cheese is melted and begins to brown.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of chopped green onions.