Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Enchiladas with an attitude
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb chicken, bone in
- 8 ounces black beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno pepper, sweet pickled slices
- 1⁄4 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 1/2 cups blond roux
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- For the roux, melt the butter in a skillet and slowly add in the flour and milk in small portions, stirring continuously. Do not brown the flour. Add the stock and pepper and bay leaves and stir until thickened. Do this as the chicken is simmering as below. Remove the bay leaves and reserve the roux.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a pot cover the chicken with water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes and then let cool. Pull the meat off the bones and return bones and skin to the pot of (now) stock and return to low heat for 5 minutes. Pull the meat into bite size pieces. You should have approximately 1/2 lb of meat. Strain and reserve the stock.
- Sweat, not saute, the onion and garlic until translucent. Add chicken and saute until cooked through. Stir in black beans, jalapeno peppers, and salsa and simmer 5 minutes. Add the cilantro and reserve off heat.
- Lay tortillas on a flat surface. Divide the mixture equally to the tortillas. Roll up and place in a shallow baking dish seam side down. Cover with the cheese and roux and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to set-up for 10 minutes before serving.