Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Green Chile Enchilada Casserole, can be made in crock pot or oven. I got this recipe out of a magazine. It is very good for potlucks. My family loves it.
- 3 -4 lbs roasting chickens
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 10 3⁄4 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 4 1⁄2 ounces peeled diced green chilies
- 20 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil chicken. Shred meat and discard bones and skin.
- Saute onion in oil in saucepan until translucent. Stir in soups, sour cream, green enchilada sauce, and chilies. Heat until warm.
- Tear tortillas into bite-sized pieces.
- Layer half of sauce, chicken, tortillas, and cheese in slow cooker, alternating layers. Repeat, ending with cheese and sauce.
- Cover. Cook on Low 5-6 hours, or High 2-3 hours. (You can cook this in the oven instead for 45 min for at about 375°F).