Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chicken Dumplings made great and simple! I found this recipe in a Betty Crocker's Cookbook, with variation made to fit my family. I never have left overs when I make this! My guests are always asking for the recipe... it's that great! Happy Cooking!!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (7/8 ounce) envelope chicken gravy mix
- 3⁄4 teaspoon marjoram or 3⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli carrots cauliflower mix
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Heat oil in large non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook chicken until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the water, milk, gravy mix (dry), marjoram, salt, and frozen vegetables.
- Heat chicken mixture over high heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, reduce heat until mixture boils gently.
- Meanwhile prepare dumplings.
- Mix according to Bisquick directions.
- Drop dumplings by the spoonful into the chicken mixture.
- Cook uncovered 10 minutes.
- Cook and cover 10 minutes longer.
- (It seems unnatural to not stir the mixture, but I have found that if you stir the mixture the dumplings will be doughy).
- Enjoy-- great accompanying side dishes are cheese grits, applesauce, fried apples, and of course, sweet tea!
I made this the other night and it was fantastic!! The whole family really enjoyed it, and there were no leftovers! This recipe is perfect AS IS, thank you!
This isn't what I think of as chicken and dumplings (more like chicken and biscuits), however, this was a very easy recipe. Based on previous reviews, I added two packets of gravy (but I didn't increase the liquid). The comments I got were that this had too much liquid, so I will cut back on water if I make this again. I used fat-free milk and Bisquick Heart-Smart. I also couldn't find the broccoli/carrots/cauliflower mix, so I used a 16 ounce bag of mixed vegetables my family liked.
My teen dd made this for dinner last night and she did a great job. This was a very easy recipe to make. We discussed the recipe and she thought that it needed more gravy, so the next time (and there will be a next time!!!) we will double or triple the gravy portion as was previously suggested. Thank you HeliWif for helping our family have a wonderful dinner together.