Prep1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is comfort food all the way! Perfect on a cold day or when you just need something to warm you up. For the optional Dumplings, please use Christine Bettiga's Dumplings
- 4 -5 chicken thighs or 1 small stewing chicken
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green peas
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules (or powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Boil thighs (or small whole stewing chicken)in water & chicken stock until done (juice runs clear when you pierce them).
- Remove chicken pieces and set aside to cool.
- Add onion, celery, peas and carrots and return to the boil.
- Skin, debone and cut up chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add chicken and mushroom soups, garlic, spices and chicken pieces to soup, whisk until thoroughly mixed and return to a boil.
- Turn down and simmer for approx 20 minutes.
- Add dumplings from Recipe #30965 (optional) and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
This was a easy and tastey meal. I served it with egg noodles. It went over well. from my 7 month old to my 35 yr old. (lol) ate it the next day for lunch as well. I omitted the cream of chicken, did not have it I replaced it with cream of celery. I also chaged the vegtables.. I just 1 can of mixed vegies.Instead of water I used chicken broth. It helped "up" the chcken taste since I didnt use cream of chicken. It was great! thanks a bunch!
Another delicious dinner , thanks Axe!! Very good chicken stew and easy enough to do. I used a whole fowl I had in the freezer. Had to use other veggies, no peas or carrots in so I used frozen mixed veggies and some lima beans, worked out great! Also added two diced potatoes instead of the dumplings. Lovely, tasty stew and it made lots too, some for supper and some for the freezer, love having stuff like this in the freezer. Thanks for posting!
I really like this recipe. Thanks for adding my dumplings to it. The flavor was great and it was easy to make!