Prep1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is comfort food all the way! Perfect on a cold day or when you just need something to warm you up. For the optional Dumplings, please use Christine Bettiga's Dumplings
- 4 -5 chicken thighs or 1 small stewing chicken
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green peas
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules (or powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Boil thighs (or small whole stewing chicken)in water & chicken stock until done (juice runs clear when you pierce them).
- Remove chicken pieces and set aside to cool.
- Add onion, celery, peas and carrots and return to the boil.
- Skin, debone and cut up chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Add chicken and mushroom soups, garlic, spices and chicken pieces to soup, whisk until thoroughly mixed and return to a boil.
- Turn down and simmer for approx 20 minutes.
- Add dumplings from Recipe #30965 (optional) and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.