Recipe by Brian Holley
The name of this dish translates to CHICKEN IN YOGURT. This is a classic Indian dish and is gorgeous. Prepare the chicken the day before cooking it. Cooking time is only 30 mins.
Top Review by MrsMM
TRY THIS DISH- TRY THIS DISH! Brian H- you weren't kidding when you said this dish is gorgeous. Reminds me of my parents cooking- tasty, fragrant, comforting. What REALLY won me though is the complete ease of preparation. Marinade is so easy to prepare. I put this dish together SO quickly the following night for dinner, and I just was amazed at the simplicity. Serving this at a party would be a pleasure- seems like lots of work for quite the opposite! Very versatile- can use in wraps if you wish for an exotic lunch. I used breasts, because that's what was defrosted, but I will try this with every type of chicken. We'll eat this A LOT!!!! :)
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 5 ounces plain yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch cube gingerroot, chopped
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 fresh green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken joints into two.
- In blender process the yogurt, garlic, ginger, red chillies, turmeric, and ground coriander, till smooth.
- In a large bowl put the chicken and cover with the spice mix, stir well and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer the chicken and its marinade to a pot, cover with a lid and cook over medium heat till the chicken is tender. Remove from the heat.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil. fry the onions till brown. Add the chicken and fry for 4 mins stirring a few times.
- Add the green chillies, salt and garam masala, cook for 3 minutes Remove from the heat, stir in half of the coriander leaves.
- Serve with the remaining coriander leaves sprinkled on top.