Recipe by FLKeysJen
An easy yet elegant recipe from Cooking Light. I served it with gnocchi but brown rice would be good too.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3⁄4 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 8 ounces quartered button mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup brandy
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each chicken breast half in half horizontally to form 8 cutlets. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 4 cutlets to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining 4 cutlets.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pearl onions and mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes or until browned. Remove pan from heat. Carefully add brandy to pan; return pan to medium-high heat, and bring mixture to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 2 minutes). Combine stock and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add stock mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pan; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, butter, and thyme.