1/3 Photos of Chicken Curry
This is another one of my mother's recipes. This type of curry is traditionally found in the northern region of India.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 -7 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chili peppers
- 2 tomatoes, chopped and skins removed (freeze and then run under water to remove skins)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon methi seeds (fenugreek found in Indian markets) (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry red pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala (found in Indian markets)
- 15 pieces skinless chicken thighs or 15 pieces chicken legs ("or" combination)
- 1In a large pot, sauté onions in butter on medium high heat.
- 2Add in whole garlic cloves once onions are transparent.
- 3In a food processor, finely chop ginger and chili peppers.
- 4Add to onion mixture and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Place mixture in food processor and pulse until mixed.
- 6Return mixture to stove. Add in chopped tomatoes and tomato paste.
- 7Continue to cook a few minutes longer, until butter is released from mixture.
- 8Add in methi, red pepper, salt, turmeric, masala and chicken pieces.
- 9Mix to coat chicken.
- 10Cover and stir occasionally until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- 11Once chicken is cooked, add just enough water so that chicken is almost, but not quite covered.
- 12Simmer a further 15 to 20 minutes until a slight discoloration to the curry appears on top.
- 13Can be eaten on a bed of rice or with Indian bread (chapatti or naan).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 75.0
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 13.0 mg
- Sodium 730.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
skinless chicken thighs