Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Posting for ZWT 2006, this is a lovely couscous recipe. Don't let the mixed directions throw you off, this really is easily put together.It is flavorful yet not too spicy for those who like it milder and also easy to spice up if you like it that way. It's a pretty flexible recipe when it comes to additions.
- 4 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 carrots, sliced across
- 2 celery ribs, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained well
- 1 (14 ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained well
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Spread Lime Sauce over chicken drumsticks and thighs and set aside about 15 minutes.
- In large Dutch oven, pour olive oil and heat to medium high temperature; add chicken and cook about 5 minutes; turn chicken; add onion and garlic stirring as chicken continues to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and lime juice over chicken; stir to loosen pan drippings.
- Add carrots and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add celery and bring to a boil over high temperature; stir in garbanzo beans and gently place artichoke hearts across the top.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes more; with slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to warm serving bowl.
- Skim off any fat in pan, boil juices about 5 minutes and pour into gravy boat with spout.
- To serve, mound Raisin Couscous, top with chicken and vegetables and pour juice over all.
- For the lime sauce,in a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, ginger, tumeric and pepper.
- For the raisin couscous, in small saucepan, mix together 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, 1/3 cup raisins, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Boil 2 minutes over high heat. Stir in 1 cup couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes, fluff with fork and serve immediately.
I made this last tuesday it was great! My picky younger brother even had seconds! I changee it a little bit thoough I used chickan breasts instead as well as switching out chikan broth for vetgable and removed the artichokes because no one in my family likes them. the with the sauce i used lemon juice as well as lime and ground cardamon instead of coriander. I also subbstatuted Chopped dates for the rasins. My mom was wondering if the two dishes were really supposed to go together because the chicken was very salty and flavorful while the couscous was sweet. Is that the way it was suppossed to be?