Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a delicious creamy Mexican soup. It turns out great if you want to substitute light ingredients. It came from the first Mexican restaurant in my town. My dad and husband LOVE this stuff! Serve this with Mexican rice, tortillas, and a fresh mexican salad. YUM!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 9 whole canned chilies (Ortega)
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cut chicken, onion, mushrooms, and 6 chiles into strips.
- Set aside.
- Put milk, soup, and remaining 3 chiles in blender and blend till smooth.
- Whisk in sour cream.
- (this keeps soup from being too foamy) Melt butter in heavy pan or dutch oven over medium heat and add oil and chicken.
- Saute until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onions to same pot and saute for 3 minutes, then add mushrooms and cook till tender.
- Add chiles and chicken and heat through.
- Then add soup mixture.
- Cover and heat on medium for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes or until hot.
Excellent one dish meal. I streamlined by using sliced mushrooms and instead of baking, I put the cheese on top, in the pot, covered, and heated until the cheese melted. Used extra sharp white cheddar, which kept the soup a beautiful creamy white.
This one is a definite keeper. If you enjoy Mexican soups, surely you will enjoy this one. I followed the recipe throughout, which is unusual for me to do. And, the results were terrific as a soup. With the leftovers, am sure they'll taste great over cooked rice or noodles. I'll make this one again and again and again.